Wednesday 30 October 2019

My son cut up my daughters costume


I have 3 kids, a 10 year old daughter, a 8 year old son who will be nine next month and an almost 7 year old daughter. My son is on the autism spectrum, but is very high functioning. Lately he’s been very mean, mostly to his younger sister. It’s been going on for a few months, and we’ve talked about it with his therapist, discussed it alone with him, giving him a lot of 1 on 1 time, we’ve tried everything thinking maybe it’s because he’s jealous of no longer being the baby. Yesterday morning I heard my 7 year old crying bloody murder and when I went upstairs to her bedroom I see my son with scissors and my daughters costume that we made together as a project was all cut up to pieces.I comforted my daughter, made him apologize and brought him downstairs. My husband and I asked him why he would do that and he said “It was ugly and I didn’t like it.” I told him that was the meanest thing he’s done, and that he’s grounded and can’t go trick or treating. He completely freaked out, had a tantrum, kicked and screamed and we just put a pillow under his head until he stopped and got our other kids ready for school.While we were getting the girls ready, I guess he called my mother and told her that we weren’t letting him go trick or treating and she called me yelling about how could I do that to our child and he has autism and he didn’t know what he was doing, but that’s, excuse my language, absolute bullshit.Since then, he has shown no remorse, he just keeps asking if he can go trick or treating now since he hasn’t been bad, but I’m not budging in this punishment.I have no parent friends, and the friends I do have with kids think autism is this big bad thing where he doesn’t understand anything and needs to be constantly coddled.If I let him go trick or treating that would teach him that ultimately his actions don’t have consequences. It will also teach my daughter that her emotions don’t matter.I just need to know that I’m not fucking up my kids. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2NBWTNN

No comments:

Post a Comment