Tuesday 29 October 2019

What language to use when talking to kids about others with disabilities


My kid is old enough to start asking questions about people with disabilities, especially other kids.My question is about what language to use. My instinctual approach is to answer questions factually by saying, "So-in-so has a disability that makes it harder for him to talk" or whatever it is, and in some cases to specify the disability if I know what it is. However, my wife and I have both hesitated to do this, feeling it is somehow wrong these days to use the word "disabled". My wife, at the very least, believes the term may be frowned upon by parents of kids with disabilities, even if it is generally accepted by society instead of outdated terms like "handicap" etc.Is it frowned upon by parents to refer to their kids as disabled? Is it a matter of "disabled kid" vs. "kid with disability"? If neither is okay, then what language should we use? Our goal is to be able to talk to our kid while being sensitive to the people we are talking about. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2N0fWCl

No comments:

Post a Comment