Monday 28 August 2017

Parents of "problem" children, have you considered completely abandoning guidance, over-disciplining, and everything else and basically thrown your hands up in the air and said "screw it" and just let your kid do what they want and figure it out on their own?


My title was too long. What I wanted to say was:Parents of "problem" children, have you considered completely abandoning guidance, over-disciplining, and everything else that causes a minute-to-minute fight and basically thrown your hands up in the air and said "screw it" and just let your kid do what they want and figure it out on their own?I'm not talking about completely abandoning parenting altogether. Healthy eating and homework/education are always going to be priorities, but aside from those things, I AM talking about letting your kid have unlimited amounts of screen time, letting them decide to wear shorts to school in January in the Northeast, letting them eat food that they dropped on the floor, not making them wash their hands after using the bathroom, not enforcing proper bathing techniques at shower/bath time, and every other thing that they fight to the death along the way. By. The. Minute. My food is too hot. My food is too cold, WARM IT UP NOW!!! Now my food is too hot! WAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!He's 8 and it has literally been 5 straight years of constant fighting about fucking EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING. Bath soap that he insisted he liked at Target now smells funny. The pasta that he ate yesterday is suddenly gross. If there's an opening for a point of contention he finds a way to complain and make everyone around him feel like shit.I know this sounds extreme for parents of "normal" kids, and I wouldn't even consider doing this for a second with my other, "normal" kids, but one of my kids literally fights every caregiver EVERY...STEP...OF...THE...WAY throughout the day. Every single person who has to deal with him is 100% exhausted with him, and he's essentially been banned from every daycare/other program he's been enrolled in. If you have the occasional dispute with your otherwise agreeable kid who puts up a stink when faced with a little adversity, then...THIS POST IS NOT FOR YOU. I don't need you to tell me how bad of a parent I am. I have feedback from every school, daycare, sports organization, and everything else about how wonderful my other kids are. If this one kid makes me a bad parent then my three other wonderful kids make me the dad of the year.I'm reaching out to people who are on the verge of losing their jobs, marriages, and everything else in their lives because they have a kid who just doesn't fucking get it. Period. An asshole to the Nth degree who acts like their sole mission in life is to make everyone around them miserable.I was a bit of a fucking asshole myself growing up, and I distinctly remember NOTHING working on me. I spent weeks and months of school years missing recesses and school activities. I remember hearing people talk about me when they thought I couldn't hear them, and all the shitty things they said about me. These were people who were supposed to love me. I remember spending countless hours sitting at a desk alone in the hallway outside my classroom because I couldn't get my shit together. I remember everyone around me being completely exasperated with me. All I wanted was for people to leave me the fuck alone and let me do my thing. I actually turned out "okay" in that I have a good paying job, married an awesome woman, have other fucking amazing kids, and don't really have any worries in life...except this one fucking kid...who is exactly like I was, but seemingly worse. I still have some serious mental issues that I'm working through, and I still have asshole-ish tendencies, but I often wonder if everyone around me had left me the fuck alone instead of telling me how much of an asshole, disappointment, burden, [insert negative term here], I was, if my emotional/mental issues actually wouldn't be as bad as they are.So...after multiple group, solo, family, and whatever else kind of therapies, diagnoses, and everything else...have any of you just said fuck it...as long as my kid is fed, moderately educated, doesn't smell like piss, and has clean clothes, I don't care what else they do? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2wNN49n

No comments:

Post a Comment