Sunday 27 August 2017

In a relationship with a single mum. Looking for advice


Hi there. I (30yo) am currently 3-4 months into a relationship with a single mother. The father has the kids (4 and 2) "every other weekend" (less in actuality) and a couple nights a week.Long story short, I'm very much in love with this woman even though it's only been a short period of time, and things have moved quite rapidly. I am now staying at her house 2+ nights a week and enjoying it, but am also a bit nervous. I have some things I need to sort out to keep balance in my life regarding spending time with her (and the kids) and continuing to maintain my own hobbies and lifestyle, but I am comfortable having that discussion with her. Still, if anyone has any immediate advice that'd be great.A second aim for this thread is to get guidance regarding my role with her kids. As an aside, I have a long background with psychology and many nieces and nephews, so I actually know quite a bit (in theory) despite not having kids of my own. She's made it clear that she wants help with a variety of things including discipline, sleep training, and general consistency, and I'm happy to talk with her and help put some of it into practice, but that means I'm basically co-parenting at this point. She loves the bits of advice and loves the extra hands around the house, and I find lots of joy in making her day easier by cleaning up and playing. That said, It's all happened so fast, so it's still a bit scary when I sit back and think about it (read: partial anxiety). I do feel generally comfortable at the moment, and i think that will be better after finding a balance to get back some time with my friends and hobbies.So, my questions:Are there any obvious red flags so far?Am I going too far by helping with child rearing stuff?Can any other step parents (who did not have kids previously) offer any friendly advice?Anything else I am missing?Thanks via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2vur1jx

No comments:

Post a Comment