Wednesday 31 May 2017

Teens and Birth Control


I'm a parent to 2 teen girls, 15 & 16. Within the last 6 months, they've both asked to be put on birth control, after having longterm boyfriends, so I took them to planned parenthood and got one a prescription for the pill, and the other the shot (she's more forgetful.) I talk openly to them still about safe sex, still using condoms, etc. I take them to planned parenthood WITH the boyfriends to pick up condoms and talk to them as well. I still enforce the "living room" only rule when they are at my house, & have comfortable communication with both boy's parents. My husband and I both have to be at work at the crack of dawn each day, so they get dropped off at school almost an hour early. They're great kids, stay out of trouble, are pretty open with me, yet I know that if a teen wants to have sex, and they have a way, they will most likely do it. I feel my choice to put them on birth control empowers them, gives them a feeling of control over their body, and safe guards them from early pregnancy.I have a friend, however, who respectfully disagrees with my decision. She believes that if you don't allow teens to get birth control when they ask, they will "just realize they have to wait on sex." Her oldest daughter is 7. It really made me think about how much parenting styles, and our thoughts and philosophies, can differ so much just based on the age of our children. What are your thoughts on teens and birth control? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2rpgFCn

No comments:

Post a Comment