Friday 26 May 2017

Is it time to force my son out of contact sports?


My son is 14 years old and is a natural athlete. He has loved sports since before he could talk. He's finishing up the 8th grade currently and is a multi sport athlete.He suffered a concussion last fall due to an illegal hit to the helmet. He had to sit out for a month. All was going well until he suffered a big blow to the head yesterday playing lacrosse. He was diagnosed with another concussion. That's two concussions in a 6 month time span. We got back from his doctors appointment today and she said everything appears to be fine, but they will do doing followup testing. She recommended taking it easy and potentially keeping his out of football this fall.My son is understandably devastated and feels like this should be his decision. What teen boy wouldn't want to play football? I have no doubts that he wants to play, but I am too worried about head injuries. He is on the smaller side and tends to play "bigger" which opens himself up to more potential shots. I know I can't protect him from everything and I don't want to be a helicopter parent, but head injuries are freaky.He runs track in the winter and I suggested running cross country in the fall as an alternative to football. He wasn't having any of that.He's a great boy with a good head on his shoulders. He's funny, smart, popular, and just an all around well rounded kid. I don't want him to risk any of that with another head injury.Should I just pull the parenting card and refuse to allow him to play? Anyway to do that without him hating me? Do I just let this be his choice? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2rqDMNV

No comments:

Post a Comment