Sunday 28 May 2017

Pretending


I have these moments where I get a glimpse of who I used to be.Driving from one suburb to another, for a Memorial Day cookout with my 9 yr old, 1.5 yr old, and husband in our nice Acura.When Korn-Freak on a Leash comes on the radio.Without pause, I crank up the volume and start screaming/singing along. One kid is begging me to change the station and my husband just keeps asking "what is this!?"I used to be the girl who wore jnco jeans (not exactly a badge of honor), brought my skateboard everywhere with me, and never missed a local Vans Warped Tour when in my state.Now I am the exact opposite of the person I used to be. I'm already the young mom at school drop off-was always confused for the nanny at the park. I felt like I had to get my shit together early on. Took out my numerous piercings when I got pregnant. My "alternative" wardrobe was swapped for Lululemon, J. Crew, Banana Republic, etc.I fit in now. But goddammit, do I miss the old "me". Not that I would still be wearing my plaid pants and hemp necklaces. I often find myself wanting more piercings, tattoos, weird hair colors-but I just think about what all the other moms at school would think of me, and I ignore my spontaneous desires.But sometimes, I don't turn the radio down while listening to rage against the machine when I drop my kid off at school. Although I still pretend to "fit in" 99% of the time. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2rdDpoT

No comments:

Post a Comment