Friday 26 May 2017

How to keep teens off video games during the summer?


My wife and I both work. Our kids are 13, 12, 5, and 3.We have a babysitter lined up for the younger two, but decided to allow the older two the opportunity to stay home without a sitter.My 12 year old will be playing sports during the summer and will be riding his bike to the school multiple days a week to attend practice. He's also generally a really active kid and I'm sure he'll be outside playing most of the day.The teen is where my concern lies. He's skinny as a rail, but gets very little exercise. I'm not concerned about his weight at all. It's still obviously not healthy to sit in the house all day and play video games, which is what I imagine he will spend his summer doing. That kid loves video games and plays a lot. My wife refuses to put limits because he keeps up his part of the deal (clean room, chores, homework, grades) but my worry is about the summer.I want to put limits on him but since no one will be home, I was thinking about keeping the gaming system out of the house until we get home. I could bring it to work and keep it in my car. I also thought about having him go with the babysitter if he couldn't prove to us that he was getting some exercise. My younger son even mentioned paying him to make sure his brother goes outside.All of these seem extreme, but I want to make sure my son is getting 2 hours of exercise per day. Any ideas that seem a little less out there? What works with your teens? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2qXh0LZ

No comments:

Post a Comment