Saturday 27 May 2017

How to not raise an entitled brat


Hey guys! So I had a (maybe not so) quick question.So first of all, I'm rich. I have a lot of money. I was raised as the only child in a fairly well-off middle class family, and we rarely fell upon hard times. My parents were able to put me through a prestigious university with little difficulty. Post-college, luck has, for the most part, been on my side. I've been able to be successful in the workplace. I finished my MBA at another prestigious university (again, which I was fortunate enough to attend with no debt) about two years ago with a combination of money from my work and from the remaining money in my parents' old college fund. About a year later, with everything in my life going fantastically, I proposed to my girlfriend of several years, and soon after that, we got married. Ever since, we've been living together happily and comfortably. We both have stable, well-paying jobs, and we love each other very much.Last week, my wife announced to me the news that she was pregnant. We'd been dreaming about this, and we were incredibly thankful that it happened as quickly as it did. Both of us are pretty young (I'm 29, and she's 28), and we would love to raise our child(ren?) with all the comforts we can afford, but we're scared of one thing in particular. Both of us were raised in comfort, but neither of us were raised in an enormous house, with the fortune of having anything we want appear in our hand with the snap of our fingers. Both of us have seen kids become corrupted by their wealthy parents and, through no fault of their own, turn into lazy, entitled kids. We don't want our child(ren?) to fall on the same path. We have some months until our family grows by one, and we both wanted to know if y'all had any suggestions for how to prepare ourselves to raise a kid who grows up with all the comforts he/she may want, is sensitive, caring, responsible, and gracious.We're both of the belief that when it comes to personality, nurture reigns vastly supreme over nature. Therefore, we want to cultivate an environment in which our child is encouraged to be caring and compassionate, and we want to minimize his/her exposure to anything that may encourage him/her to be entitled, lazy, or boastful in any way.Thanks so much to all of you guys, and if you have any suggestions, please, please help a clueless couple out! via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2quZVpp

No comments:

Post a Comment