Sunday 28 May 2017

How to deal with LO watching these children's shows?


I have a 9 year old that I care for (I'm not a babysitter, I'm family - mother like bond/care situation) that watches the normal tween shows on Family channel and Disney channel. She doesn't watch a lot of T.V at our house, and not ANY Disney/family channel unless a friend is over. I am finding it really sexually explicit at a G/PG level - talk of making out, first kisses, dating, etc. All portrayed by girls that they look up to. The entirety of most shows is all about them getting a date, having their first kiss, making out, finding a boyfriend, heavy flirting, parents being extremely proud their kid is dating "finally", very heteronormative, etc. She is a really impressionable kid.How do I bring up this up to her in a way that isn't shaming her? Her mom is obsessed with dating and guys, blah blah blah - so I'm sure that wears off on her. I want her to aspire for more - school, friends, extracurricular, etc. I really don't want her thinking she needs to do these things. I'm not sure what to do, I don't want to be over controlling. Any advice would be helpful. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2qqauPr

No comments:

Post a Comment