Friday 26 May 2017

Concerned about the amount of pressure my husband puts on our son. Is this simply a cultural difference?


I want to start by saying that my husband is a great husband and an amazing father. He's very involved in our son's life and would do absolutely anything for him. He wants our son to achieve his goals and will do anything to help our son do that. I don't want this post to come across as me bashing my husband.My son is 8 years old. He is a very smart and athletic. He plays 4 different sports a year (wrestling, baseball, soccer, football) and loves doing it. My husband ask him every year if he wants to sign up again and we get the same response. He always wants to do it.My concern in that my husband puts too much pressure on him. They go out and do training seasons for each sport. It's baseball season right now. We have a batting cage in our backyard and they spend hours back there everyday practicing when my husband gets home from work. That's in addition to practices and games my son has each week. He takes our son to a trainer once a month and has him help our son.This is the same for every sport. Football and soccer season involve a lot of drills daily. A lot of training and conditioning. Wrestling is probably the one my husband is most lax about, but it's still more serious than I think it should be at his age. Multiple tournaments states away and things like that and sessions with a trainer.My son doesn't seem bothered by it, but I don't want this to spiral out of control. My husband seems to think this is simply a cultural divide. I am originally from Latin America and my husband is a white American. He says that this is normal for American kids and my instinct (as a mom and someone from my culture) is to be overprotective. I understand that Americans tend to value winning and competition, but my concern is that it's becoming too much. My husband is the same way about school. He often has our son reciting his multiplication tables as he dribbles a soccer ball. Or he answers division questions while throwing the football. Academics are a huge deal to my husband.I guess the thing that bugs me the most is when my son gets injured and my husband makes him finish out a game or when my son just wants to go ride bikes, but has to go practice with a trainer instead. I know he loves sports and he enjoys doing it, but I don't want him to look back and feel like he missed out on his childhood. My husband and him have a great relationship and they are probably closer than most fathers and sons, but I want that to last.Am I being unreasonable? Is my husband right? Is this just cultural differences? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2qlo5Yf

No comments:

Post a Comment