Saturday 27 May 2017

Please don't criticize me for promoting a less-toxic environment for my son. (Rant)


Edit: I'm sorry if this post isn't super parent-y but this has been a huge annoyance that I've had to deal with as a parent, from other parents.I never care about what anyone else does. I never preach to anyone over what I've learned about bio-accumulative, environmental toxins, and I don't berate people for going with conventional and slightly cheaper things.People look at me like I'm some conspiracy-theorist, pretentious snob, or like I don't vaccinate my son, just because I have taken the time to research the health effects of compounds like PFOA (in Teflon) and PBDEs (a flame retardant).Or people think that I'm stupid and that I "buy into marketing scams" (when, first of all, there really isn't any marketing against PBDEs or Teflon right now). Europe and the United States have already began taking action to limit the use of PBDEs because it's a pollutant and there is a strong link between that chemical and irreversible health effects. It's SCIENTISTS, not companies, that are trying to push this information.Do I completely trust the USDA organic label? Absolutely not. But I think that it's at least a small step above conventional produce. Do I think that my family is 100% in the clear because I don't want PBDE flame retardants in my kid's things? Also no (and it's SUPER hard to get away from that chemical, it's essentially everywhere).Even if these people are right, and I'm just dumb, and what I've done doesn't make any significant difference, having been mindful of what my son wears and eats has at least given me some peace of mind. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2qqK6AH

No comments:

Post a Comment