Tuesday 31 January 2017

Religious brainwashing


I posted this In r/step-parents but I think this can apply to parents In general....In the last year BM has become increasingly religious. They attend church 3 days a week, 4hrs on Sundays. BD and I are both agnostic. I am completely open to SD going to church and having faith. I think that many churches offer great extra curricular activities and are ultimately filed with well meaning/good people. That being said, what do you do when churches teach children that people of other religions are going to hell? Up to this point we have been supportive of BM religious journey. We have even taken SD back home early on our weekends so that she can attend this or that church event. Recently our SD 12yrs old was very upset because she believes that her cousins (my side of family) who are Jewish won't go to heaven. We talked about it, how other people believe different things and that's ok but she has been preached at so much that she believes it. BM also believes this. This is just one example of the increasing ideological ideas she has come home with. Before I thought I was doing the right thing to support and let SD faith grow naturally, now I am scared that she is going to grow up, to be close minded and judgmental. This is just one example, there have been many other concerning things she has said to us. BD and I am at a loss of what to do. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2kpMs2Q

No comments:

Post a Comment