Saturday 28 January 2017

I reported suspected child abuse and the counselor told the people I reported - what now?


My son recently informed me that a friend of his had confided in him that he was experiencing abuse at home.Unsure of what do to with this information to ensure timely and effective action, I consulted the school counselor, who said since it was third hand knowledge to her she couldn't be involved and I would have to take it upon myself to call authorities.I went in to a child services office and spoke with somebody and an investigation was opened. I do not know if the allegations have been proven or not, but of course I'll believe the child as long as he says there's a problem.So the parents of the boy came to the school, as they suspected the boys' teacher of having been the reporter. The counselor told them that I was the one having concerns, she named me and even my son. Without checking with me or getting permission from me.Now my son's friend isn't speaking to him at the behest of his parents, and other parents are avoiding me as the people I reported have good standing in the community and have been trying to convince people I was overstepping my boundaries.The counselor is unapologetic about outing me in such a manner, and I'm wondering if I'm right to be perplexed and if there's any action I can take. I would hate for another parent to hesitate reporting abuse because of this seemingly negligent counselor. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2kfIhXp

No comments:

Post a Comment