Sunday 29 January 2017

How I Handled My Daughter Wanting To Be A Baby Again Like Her New Baby Brother


After we had our son, my 3+ yr old daughter wanted to be a baby again. She was seeing her new little brother was getting all this special baby attention she used to get, etc. She started wanting to sit in his seats, which then progressed to her acting increasingly like a baby.I asked her if she wanted to be a baby again, to which she exclaimed a resounding, 'Yes!'. I tried to explain to her all of the great things about being a big and growing kid like her that her little brother couldn't do -- eating all of the yummy food instead of just yucky formula, being able to run and jump around and play with big kids, being able to play more games with mommy and daddy and enjoy more places, being able to talk to us so we can understand each other, etc -- saying that if Gabriel had the choice and understood then he'd probably rather be a big kid like her.It wasn't working. She still wanted to be a baby.So I asked her, 'Are you sure? If you want to be a little baby again, then okay, you can be a baby, but you can' t pick and choose what being a baby means. That means everything about being a baby, no more big girl stuff.' She was definitely excited and looking forward to it. It was time to eat soon, and she was hungry, so I said, 'Okay, since you're a baby, you only get to have baby formula in a bottle, like Gabriel (her brother), and that's all you ever get to eat.'She said, 'Okay!'So I went and made a bottle for her, picked her up and held her like a baby and everything, and gave her the bottle. She started to drink it and winced. I could tell she (obviously) absolutely hated it. I said, 'Mrmmm! It's good, huh?! Babies love their formula and its all they ever get to eat! You like it, right?' She tried to force an, 'Uh-huh'. I went to give it to her again, calling her bluff.She tried it one more time and pushed it out of her mouth and spit it out. She said, 'Ugh, I want real food!'I said, 'I'm sorry baby, I don't understand baby talk. But I've got a bottle for food if you're hungry, and that's all babies can eat, so here you go!' I motioned the bottle towards her and she yelled, 'Eww, no! I hate being a baby, I want to be a big girl again!'Problem solved. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2khaXPw

No comments:

Post a Comment