Friday 27 January 2017

Dad of 13 month old girl navigating the perfect storm of a week


I hate overly long text posts but I just gotta write this all out.My wife got sent on a business trip this week, Monday - Sunday. Our daughter goes to daycare, my wife cooked and froze a bunch of food, wrote me a cheat sheet for meal planning and a few recipes for breakfast food. So this shouldn't have been that busy of a week aside from the fact we're buying a house and we close on it tomorrow (we did the paperwork so i can do it solo). My own job has gotten really stressful, it's the usual story of software being over sold and now we have to deliver with a team the fraction of the size necessary, but I've been working in the evenings after my daughter goes to sleep and it looked like we might pull off the deadline of next Monday.Daughter had just finished a 10 day course of antibiotics for an ear infection Sunday. Yesterday daycare reported that she was fussy but that she didn't have a fever. Got her home and her temp was 102.2F. 4 hours later it was 103.8F. 6 hours later its 104.5F. Mind you i'm alternating giving her Motrin and Tylenol every time i check and its high. With 104.5 though I decided to give her both motrin and tylenol simultaneously. 3 hrs later it's now 6am and she's at 98.9F. I also had a lowgrade fever yesterday and was achy all over but by 3am i was feeling better, so i at least had that going for me.I had managed to find a sitter to come today so I could go do one last walk through of the house we're buying first thing in the morning. I got our daughter in with her doctor at 10AM. It's another (or the same) ear infection. Doctor pulls some strings and gets us in with the ENT tomorrow at 9:30am. House closing is at 11am tomorrow. I have a friend on standby who can take her to daycare for me if the ENT runs late, so again at least i have that going for me.Meanwhile my wife is guilt ridden, her trip has been less than productive apparently - canceled meetings, etc. she didn't sleep much herself last night worrying about our daughter. She keeps asking me if i want her to come home. I do and I don't. I might have been frustrated she wasn't here at 3am but I'm not mad at her, we both have jobs, we both have to travel occasionally. That's life. I'm kind of glad it's me and not her, she's done a lot for this baby and our family.So i dunno, wish me luck, /r/parenting. Hopefully I don't have to be up every couple of hours managing the fever tonight, and i can thread the needle tomorrow morning, getting in and out of the ENT and back to the closing in time. Maybe I can even get a few hours of work in before i have to pick my baby up from daycare in the evening. my original plan was to go have a fancy cocktail for lunch after the close but I'll just be glad if I can get through it now. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2k9ocSk

No comments:

Post a Comment