Saturday 28 January 2017

Equal college funds for each kid or the most we can give at that time?


My husband and I have three kids age 15, 10, and six. My oldest is actually from a previous marriage but her biological father contributes very little financially. She calls my husband dad and we have been married since she was 2 years old. She is now a sophomore in high school and we are thinking about college.We lived paycheck to paycheck for years and have recently become much more financially stable and able to start putting college money away for the kids. The issue is my husband and I can not agree and how to do this. He gets so angry every time we talk about it and we both feel very strongly.I feel like we should put the most money in the oldest's account to "catch her up" so that our overall contributions to each of their education will be closer to the same by the time they graduate high school.He says it's not fair to "penalize" the younger kids just because we didn't have money to save for the oldest early on. He also says she has another parent that should contribute. While I agree that her biological father should contribute and plan to do my best to make that happen, I know the chances for that are very very slim. I tried to compromise with my husband by suggesting that we deduct any contribution made by her biological father so she would not have more than the younger kids. But he still feels that would be incredibly unfair.He believes I am being very short sighted and need to give this more thought. Although my husband has ALWAYS treated my daughter as his own in every way, I suspect his judgment is being clouded by the fact that she isn't his.What is reasonable is this situation? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2kfcBBI

No comments:

Post a Comment