Tuesday 31 January 2017

Changing an (internationally) adopted child's first name. Looking for advice and opinions.


My husband and I have two kids and are completing an international adoption of a toddler boy. He will (hopefully) be coming home during the summer. He will be just over two years old when he comes home.His name is normal for his home country, but would very out of place where we live. It would be difficult to pronounce and would stand out. I would love to change his first name, but keep his original name as his middle name.My husband was on board with this plan, but has recently changed his mind. He is worried that it will traumatize our son even more.I know it might be a long shot here, but has anyone completed an international adoption here? If you did change the name, were there any problem? Any issues if you didn't change the name? Parents who adopted domestically are welcome to answer as well. Even if you have little to no experience with adoption, it would be nice to hear any opinion you may have.I would post in /r/adoption but I have found that sub to be incredibly rude at times. I have been attacked for asking adoption related questions (many of them are opposed to international adoption) and would prefer to avoid that. This sub seems a little more helpful and positive.Thank! via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2kT1dIt

No comments:

Post a Comment