Saturday 28 January 2017

Blended♡


It's 11:50 PM and in his semi coherent slumber, my husband can hear me whisper, "Do you have to poop?" He sleepily wakes to ask, "Who? Me? Blue?" Blue is our dog, by the way. "Who? Lizzie? Do you need some pepto, baby?" Yes, my almost four year old daughter toddles into our bedroom complaining of a stomach ache. But her stomach is most definitely not hurting. She just doesn't want to lay down and watch The Secret Life of Pets for the 100th time. And guess what? I'm not surprised. This is routine and we are used to it. And guess what else? I didn't even have to move a muscle, much to my oblige. Because my husband did. No question. My husband of 15 months, who is not my daughter's father, but more of a father than her own bio father ever will be, hurried out of bed to cater to her. Not because I asked him to. Because he wanted to. He insists, actually. I also have a son. He's almost 10. And he shares a bond with his step father that I NEVER saw with his bio dad. My son and my daughter share the same sperm donor. Two products of a broken, past marriage but still perfect beings in every way. The only two good things to come out of my former marriage. I hear my daughter tell her step-father that pepto is nasty and she just needs some gatorade. So that's what he goes to the kitchen to get for her. I hear him ask her for a hug followed by a mwaaaaaaah sound, which is absolutely her giving him a kiss. I hear them exchange I love yous. I smile inside and out. And although I don't believe in a God, or fate, or any similar rationalization, I still believe that THIS IS how my life is supposed to be. This is how it was supposed to be all along. This is what my children deserve. I have no regrets. Every misstep I took led me to this wonderfully happy blended family. I never thought I would find a man that would love my "illegitimate" kids. But guess what? They are out there. And my story began with a random date to a restaurant where we ordered $140 worth of food that we didn't even eat because we were too busy talking and laughing. So if anyone out there is scared like I was, you have every right to be! But trust me, there are men out there dying to step up to the plate. There is power in believing in a happy ending. Just believe. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2kDGlVl

No comments:

Post a Comment