Thursday 26 January 2017

Open letter to the Mum who judged me


To the mum who judged me.I am a mother, like you. This beautiful, wonderful baby came with no instructions. Trial and error, instinct and researched ideas, have been my life for the past 6 months whilst I try to ensure that my boy is a happy and healthy. So far, I'd like to think I'm doing a good job.I comment in a group, a group of mothers who like me and who like you are trying to muddle through parenthood. Making mistakes, trying new things, often at odds with what people in their real lives have suggested. I, and they, and I presume you, came to the group looking for support, not judgement.So your comments on my post about trying to get my son to sleep in his cot hurt. You didn't seem to read the whole post, instead cherry picking things to make your point. You assumed I was letting him 'cry it out'. I wasn't. I was next to him, holding him, stroking his hair, giving him kisses and cuddling him, but ultimately trying to get him to stay in his own cot, rather than coming in to my bed.You made me feel like a bad mum. You tried to assert that my son will he mentally scarred forever because of this.The thing is, even if I was letting him cry it out, it's not your place to tell me that's wrong for me and my family.Only a few days ago, women world wide marched to make thier voices heard. Tanya Moodie, founder of the Women's Equality Party, is quoted here for her reason for marching:"‘We’re marching for equality, we’re marching against hatred, we’re marching against division and we’re marching for our children’s future"It therefore makes me laugh, and then feel sad, that we women can't even fully support each other in parenthood, without judging, without hating, without division.No matter how you choose to parent, as long as you have your child's best interest at heart, you are doing what you feel is best, and that you are looking after your child, you are doing a great job. A fantastic job, often without thanks or praise.To the mum who judged me- I don't judge you. Maybe you didn't realise how hurtful your comment was. Of course you think your way is best, and it is, for you and your family. But not for mine. My way is best for mine, and I will continue to look after my son as I have been- with all of my love.And to assuage your concerns- when he's asleep in his own cot, he will know that I am just next to him as he sleeps in the same room as me. I will be there to comfort him and make him feel better if he has a bad dream. I will stroke his hair and hold his hand until he falls back to sleep- in his cot. Because that is how I parent.Good luck to every parent on this journey, and let it be known that I don't judge you if you are trying to do what's best for you and yours.TL;DR A mum in a parenting group made me feel like shit for trying to get my boy to sleep in his cot. I rant. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2jByZ4F

No comments:

Post a Comment