Thursday 26 January 2017

Discipline - Soon to be 1 year old


My son is 11.5 months and at an age where testing boundaries is to be expected and I am looking for some feedback on redirection/discipline.Our issue is when he touches something he shouldn't or tries to get to something he shouldn't and we tell him no, remove him from the area, redirect with a toy, and he continues to try or throw a fit. At this age what is appropriate? I don't want to create bad behaviors but I also am not sure if I am making things harder on us then I should if that makes any sense.Examples:Bath time - I got the whale cover for the facet and a boon lid for the drain because he was obsessed with touching the drain. Then he discovered the lever that locks the drain. I don't have a cover for it. He will not stop trying to go after it in the tub which means standing which typically results in him falling. I tell him no, I turn him around, I give him a toy, and he will try 10+ times to touch it. I've tried letting him touch it and then go on to something else, that didn't work. It ruins bath time because he's angry and I'm annoyed and I rush to finish the bath.Oven - He figured out how to open the lever we use to lock the oven door. Originally he thought it was just fun to push it back and forth. We've found that not making a big deal out of something typically makes him lose interest well he now opens the lever and pulls the door open so I can't just ignore that. I already put covers on the knobs because he turned on the gas a few times.Dinner - He will start to throw his food or sippy when he doesn't want anymore. We've been working on handing me the food when he doesn't want anymore. I've also reduced the amount I give him at one time. At this age does he understand that if he throws the cup and I don't give it back that it's a result of him throwing it?He's tall and big for his age so he can reach the first five inches around our dining room table, counters, etc. He's ripped two baby gates out of the studs. I wasn't prepared for the work a larger kid would take. I want to do what's best for him and I want to help him learn when he does something wrong or dangerous. I am just trying to figure out what developmentally he can understand so that we can "meet in the middle".Thanks! via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2jBkuxF

No comments:

Post a Comment