Wednesday 29 April 2020

"Teddy's tired..." - Coaxing naptime


My toddler is nearing but not quite at the stage of dropping the midday nap... If we let him skip it, he passes out around 5, misses dinner, and is up at 7 all bright-eyed and refreshed... And bedtime's at 8:30. So then it's a fight for bedtime. Just chaos. So he needs his nap still, but he's fighting it hard lately (probably out of boredom/under-stimulation from stay-at-home orders, as much as I try to play outside with him--there just aren't great replacements for parks/playgrounds, museums, libraries, Grandma's house, running errands together, etc.) My desperate, not-great strategy was bribing him with "afternoon tea" (a little chocolate syrup in his milk and a little cookie) if he took a good nap... But he would just keep pressing the envelope, and when I'd inform him "No cookie!" "No chocolate milk!", there was nowhere to go from there...So today, I overheard him tucking Teddy in while he was duncing around in his bed not-napping, and then he was walking around on his bed yelling, so I came in and stage-whispered, "Hey, Teddy's tired and trying to sleep! Look at him, you tucked him in and now you're making all this noise." And he looked guiltily at Teddy, so I asked, "Want me to tuck you in with Teddy?" And suddenly he was all curled up with Teddy making sure I tucked them both in. ♥️ I made Teddy's head nod a little with a fake snore, and the kid was stroking Teddy's head gently when I closed the door, and he's currently asleep at a decent time! Phew!What are your strategies for fighting back against fighting needed sleep? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/35etNML

No comments:

Post a Comment