Tuesday 28 April 2020

My daughter listens to a hand puppet, but not the guy with his hand up its arse


When my daughter gets upset (eg if we take away a toy or other privilege for being naughty, she just escalates and escalates and can't be spoken with coherently. Just screaming. She was having a stage 5 red alert tantrum tonight (pure rage and despair, like a feral child) and I thought I'd try something new.I popped the imaginatively named mouse puppet, Mousey, round the corner and did his weird cockney/aussie voice that I do, and she just calmed right down and went and sat under my desk feeling a bit sorry for herself. I went over for a chat but she would only speak to Mousey. I have to stay above my desk as this chat is between her and Mousey apparently. Mousey has a chat about behaviours and consequences, which she listens to, and gives her a hug. She hugs him back and agrees that maybe brushing teeth was worth it to keep her new toys and TV rights "I suppose so, Mousey". Later she is about to start her routine of sneaking out of bed and throwing another shit fit, but Mousey steps in and has a chat last minute after my failed attempts and she lays down and goes to sleep.TL;DR a £2 sock puppet is a better parent than me.Thoughts on what's going on here and whether my daughter will grow up to become a furry? via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/3aGGT6s

No comments:

Post a Comment