Sunday 26 April 2020

9 year old daughter struggling with body image and low self-esteem


Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some advice to help my 9 year old daughter. Recently, she has started saying things like she is ugly, fat, and annoying. She started at a new school in September and some of the boys in class were picking on her. They called her names like fatass, bitch, and ugly. I went to the school and they took it very seriously. The boys apologized and even though the comments hurt her, I thought that she was okay. She is not ugly AT ALL. She is gorgeous and her doctor says she is a perfect weight for her age. And the boys who were making fun of her all admitted that they have a crush on her. I think they were just being mean to her because they are children and dont know how to express their feelings. I explained that to her, but it hasnt seemed to help. Anyways, since September she keeps making comments about being fat, unattractive, saying she has crooked yellow teeth, etc. She also hates her blonde hair and wants to dye it and wear make up because she thinks shes ugly. Tonight, she made more comments about herself then she ever has before and I am heartbroken. I feel like it is not normal at this age for her to have body image issues and such low self-esteem. I tell her how beautiful and perfect she is everyday. She tells me she doesnt believe me. Is this normal for a girl her age? How can I help boost her self-esteem? I was thinking about letting her dye her hair with temporary dye tomorrow and see if that helps. Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/3aFPBBO

No comments:

Post a Comment