Wednesday 29 April 2020

I lost my cool today


I was putting my 11 month old son down for a nap. Usually it’s a 5 minute process and he’s out for between30-60 minutes. If he’s teething sometimes it’s more, but within 5 more minutes of giving him Tylenol he’s out.This morning it was 45 minutes of screaming, crying, kicking. I’ve never, EVER experienced this before from him. I became so overwhelmed and frustrated like I’ve never felt. Twice I put him in the crib and ran out of the room, almost crying myself. The second tome when I came back in I said (loudly enough to hear myself over him) that this is enough and I can’t take it anymore! About 15 minutes after that he finally fell asleep but was wimpering still, so I let him sleep on me in the chair (something we haven’t done in a long, long time).After he was asleep I caught myself almost crying again because I couldn’t believe how quickly that frustration and overwhelming feeling took over. I couldn’t believe I raised my voice to him! And also that I couldn’t help him stop crying this time, that he was helplessly alone in figuring out how to make himself stop because I couldn’t. I felt so helpless and alone too.I’ve been on parent duty 24/7 since the virus. Everyone who usually helps (including his dad) is either far away and can’t travel, is a high risk person or the caretaker of one, or works in a hospital. I’ve been a single parent for about 8 weeks now, and daycare has been closed too. I love my son, but I need a break! I need just to get my nails done, or hair cut, or to go for a jog without pushing a stroller, or have a glass (bottle? -kidding) of wine and then be able to go to sleep and not have to worry about possibly waking up to nurse or whatever. (And even if places do start opening, I still wouldn’t go for a few weeks)Just needed to vent, thanks for listening. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/3cTs95E

No comments:

Post a Comment