Saturday 25 April 2020

A heart wrenching first month


I was hesitant to post about our families journey with our first baby, but decided to jump out of my comfort zone and here I am! 😬My husband and I initially thought we weren’t able to get pregnant years ago due to my Type One Diabetes. After coming to the realization that we were ridiculous for thinking that and reaching out to Diabetics who have had children, we then started trying to conceive. We went on a vacation for 3 weeks and ended up getting pregnant during that trip. The day we found out was one of the most amazing days of my life, and I’m sure my husbands. I was monitored pretty heavily during my pregnancy due to the diabetes, but he (our baby) was progressing and growing nicely.Fast forward to the last few weeks and he needed to come out early due to high blood pressure on my end. He had to be delivered cesarian. My first mistake was having a plan in my head of how I wanted the whole process to go and a csection was not in the plan, so I was very very upset. They pulled him out and he had swallowed fluid and had to go up to the NICU. I wasn’t able to see him once he was delivered or after that for 3 hours. The NICU stay was about 4 days and we were sent home.We had a pediatrician appointment that following Monday and our doctor had said his heart rate was over 250, which was a cause for concern. We were sent to the ER, and then sent up to the pediatrics intensive care unit.The doctors couldn’t explain why his heart rate was so high or why they couldn’t feel pulses in his feet. After 5 days in the PICU, the doctor told us he had blood clots throughout his body, and also blood clots and bleeding in his brain. We were told he wouldn’t make it through the night. That day will forever be imbedded in my brain. Weird things such as the time on the clock, the smell of the room we were in when the doctor told us this, or how the doctors glasses were scratched.The amount of anger I felt is something I had never felt before. Why me? Why does this happen to my baby? I tried doing everything right throughout my pregnancy, and now this happens? My poor baby was being poked every day and I couldn’t do anything about it.They put him on blood thinners for the blood clots, but was risky because it could cause the brain bleeding to worsen, thus killing him. We waited there that first day that he was put on these blood thinners preparing for the worst, but he made it through the night. And then he made it through the next day and he continued to get better and better.We spent 3 whole weeks in the PICU and we found that his blood clots were all gone and that the bleeding in his brain has stopped. I cried tears of happiness for the first time in 3 weeks and it was the best news I’ve received my whole life. We were able to take our sweet boy home!We now have a spunky, happy, and HEALTHY 8 week old baby boy at home with his parents and dogs. We thank God every single day for the life that was given to our son. We have doctors appointments every week to check on him but those should be starting to get further and further apart as he grows and gets stronger.If you have read this far, THANK YOU! It feels good to share our story and I felt this was the place to do so! via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/3aCZX5D

No comments:

Post a Comment