Monday 27 April 2020

Is this entitlment from parenting?


Hiya, I'm F(38), a mom, I've been noticing a trend of sorts in the behaviour of kids that come to our house as guests to play with my 8 yr old. Some kids keep asking to be given a gift or at least to be able to borrow an object of interest from us. I find it a bit tiring to constantly have to say no to guests and be careful to do it in a compassionate and gentle way. Some kids keep fussing on and keep asking, can I have this then, or this? I wonder where this stems from? I can't remember ever looking to get something in other people's homes when i was a kid and I wonder if this is a consequence of excessive gift giving by parents, which in turn makes kids feel that only a material gift means love and appreciation? If anyone can give insight as to the cause of this behaviour and also maybe advice on how to handle such experiences with my daughter's guests, I will be grateful. via /r/Parenting https://ift.tt/2VDImpM

No comments:

Post a Comment