Thursday 25 April 2019

Wife wants to pierce my daughter's ears but I don't.


Hi all.My wife Abby and I have a 2 month old daughter named Emily and she is perfect in every way. I got home from work yesterday evening and at dinner Abby said she wanted to get Emily's ears pierced within the next few days.I immediately tried to discourage this. I have memories of my baby sister being taken for a piercing when I was a kid, and being held down and screaming when it was taking place. I have absolutely no desire to put Emily through that.Abby insists that earrings would make Emily ''so cute'' (even though she is perfect already). Abby is half indian (other half white english like myself), and all the girls on that side of the family get pierced as babies.I do understand the cultural side of things, but at the same time, I'm having a hard time accepting putting my precious girl through pain, even if it isn't intense, just for the sake of ideals.I love my wife and don't want to argue with her over this, but when I try to point out that piercing Emily's ears will hurt, she tries to say that it will only hurt for a moment, even though that doesn't change the fact that we are putting her through pain for something that doesn't benefit her (as opposed to an injection or something which is justifiable) and she could not possibly understand why. I would rather see her get it done at the age of 7 or 10 where she can make the choice and understand the risks for herself.How do I get my wife to understand my point of view - that it is wrong to unnecessarily hurt our daughter? via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2vmxeji

No comments:

Post a Comment