Tuesday 30 April 2019

Spouse neglects responsibilities while alone with children


I would like some neutral evaluation of this situation and/or suggestions of what to do next.My husband works full time evenings, and I work part time mornings, 2 days a week, totaling about 12 hours/week. On the days I work, husband takes care of the kids, and vice versa.On the days I work, my daughter is consistently late to preschool or he just doesn’t take her. He also does things like forget to change the toddler’s diaper (I’ve come home to him wearing the same diaper from the night before on many occasions). He either plays Minecraft while they watch TV, or accidentally falls asleep on the couch. Sometimes the kids go out back unsupervised while he sleeps through it. Thankfully the back yard is generally safe, but there have been times I’ve come home to the front door unlocked & him in a deep sleep... and the toddler could have easily gone out front and wandered off. That thought terrifies me.I feel like he is being irresponsible, perhaps even downright neglectful, when he is alone with them. I think it’s dangerous for the kids and I don’t know what to do. We have talked about this many, many times and he always agrees with me, apologizes, and says he didn’t mean to _________ (fill in the blank). But it keeps happening over and over, and I’m really not OK with it but I don’t know what else to do. I need to keep this job. Even though it’s just a few hours a week, it’s about 25 to 30% of our income. I am the more educated one between us, and have more earning potential. (I have considered going back to work full-time while he stays home, but I don’t feel like I can do that considering his track record.)Am I overreacting? What would you do in a similar situation? via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2ZKX4eC

No comments:

Post a Comment