Friday 26 April 2019

I am Mommy, destroyer of talent.


My daughter's (6) music teacher told me that she has very good pitch and rhythm. Every night we sing "You are my Sunshine" and she warbles and is all over the the place, off key the entire time, so I was a little surprised that her singing was specifically called out. My SO had a degree in music and said he could tell that pretty easily as well.I was happy to hear it and she's got this sort of funny habit of whistling to match different tones, like an alarm or a bell. She's actually okay (she's great for 6 and accurate enough if she were and adult but doesn't have a very good low register, not that it stops her from trying.) My grandfather did bird calls and could identify birds by their song. Cute coincidence right? I just assumed it was only a whistling talent.Last night we were singing and after she sang me a song from music class which was very much in tune.I realized she was imitating me. She just thinks "you are my sunshine" is a hot mess and had never heard it sung correctly. She's singing it like me! She should not sing like me! Fun fact: I do NOT have good pitch or rhythm.I feel bad, like I'm damaging her but she loves to sing and MUST have a song or 5 before bed.Also, how the hell do you nurture something like this in a little kid? My family is full of funny talents so here's was just part of her. via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2vnmGjN

No comments:

Post a Comment