Thursday 25 April 2019

Delta Crib Review: if a piece of furniture can give busy parents nightmares, it is this one.


The reference model is something like this one. More specifically, it was this model. But as far as I am concerned, new parents setting up the baby's room should avoid any Delta product no matter how good of a deal it seems. Half-way through assembling this garbage I seriously contemplated throwing it out entirely, and getting something else. I would have returned it, except it literally took a fucking month to assemble, and by then it was outside the return period.Dear god, I don't even know where to begin. Just thinking about the process of getting this POS assembled gets me seething to the point that I can't type.On arrival packaging: you know how at IKEA sometimes there are multiple boxes for the same furniture? that is because at some point someone figured out that it is criminal to put ungodly number of planks into a 5 by 5 foot box. I mean it can be done, like a tetris masterpiece. Delta did it, and I'm sure it says the company tons in shipping costs. But the result is that the box is like Thor's fucking hammer. I literally could not budge it from the front door where it was dropped. The box had to be opened at the front door, and then what felt like a million planks taken a few at a time to the room.Assembling: I have assembled upwards of 50 ikea furniture pieces in the past 20 years, and I have never seen a product that required this psychotic amount of screwing different planks and boards together. The assembly instruction is not a leaflet. No, I kid you not, it is a fucking 60 page+ book. Again, if the packaging had some sort of sane organization, maybe the different sections could be grouped logically instead of me having to spread dozens of pieces wood across the house to find what I'm looking for.Fit and finish: let's talk about the quality. This is where it gets good. And by good I mean, about as good as a poor man's IKEA. Imagine if a chinese company decided to make counterfeit IKEA furniture, and you get something that will probably better quality than the the Delta crib I got. Almost all of the panels for the drawers were warped. The panels seem to be made of pine, but it is some sort of super cheap laminated pine that warps like a motherfucker. As a result, none of the drawers could be assembled and operated out of the box. I get it, pine is not a stable wood, and "solid wood" is a selling feature over particle board, but this was simply non-function and parts did not fit together. After warranty replacement (see below) of a half dozen panels, I got it finally assembled. The drawers now work, but they are wobbly and clunky, and when closed, the crooked angles are ugly as fuck. And did I mention the color finish has a fair amount of defects? After everything else, this was the least of my worries.Warranty experience: I emailed warranty and after a few weeks, I got the replacement parts. The parts themselves were okay in terms of not being warped. Here is a picture what I need to get replaced. The packaging it came in however, seems like it was some sort of sick joke by Delta. Every damn little replacement part had its own separate box and styrofoam, and individually wrapped. As you can see in the picture, what enormous amount of waste. The replacements could have been sent with at most 1/5th the packaging. I feel that Delta should be boycotted based on just this stupid amount of senseless waste. I spent as much time opening the boxes, and then getting rid of all the garbage as I did re-assembling the drawers. At least in the new place we live, there is no limit on how much garbage we put on the curb. In our last place, I would have had to load all this in the car and dump it at a designated city site because it was easily more garbage than a week's allowance.TL:DR - don't buy Delta products. via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2W6kEjU

No comments:

Post a Comment