Sunday 28 April 2019

My son sort of understands consent and I’m so proud


My 4 year old step son is extremely sensitive and emotional. I would argue that he is more sensitive than average. Most times, it’s a blessing. Other times, it results in more tantrums and meltdowns I would care for. Ever since I’ve known him, I’ve made it a point to make sure he stays in control of his own body. His dads family is very big on forcing affection and while he’s a touchy feely kid himself, sometimes he just doesn’t want to be touched. So I tell him to tell people “no thank you” and I am always there to make sure the adults are respecting that. Even his dad sometimes tries to force him into hugs and kisses and I’ve had to tell him to leave the kid alone if he doesn’t want to be touched. However, in the midst of this, it hasn’t always worked the other way around. When my son tries to hug me and I say no thank you, he would melt down or get upset. His feelings would get extremely hurt and I’ve had to coach him out of this and let him know I still love him and want to be around him, I just don’t want to be touched and that’s okay.Well, this morning my son made me very proud. I was sleeping in bed and felt some hotness near my face. I open my eyes and as per usual, my sons face is inches from mine and his big blue eyes are peering at me. When he sees I’m awake he puckers his lips and says, “mommy, do you want a kiss?”I tell him “No, I don’t want a kiss right now.”Instead of melting down and getting upset, he just smiles and says “okay.”I felt so happy that I told him I’d take a hug instead and he was more than happy to give me one.Just thought I’d share with everyone here because it was definitely a proud moment for me. via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2XSrD0a

No comments:

Post a Comment