Sunday 28 April 2019

What to do when your teenage son pulls a knife on you.


How do you react as a father to something like this? It’s the third time and we had him in the hospital twice for it. He goes berserk when I confronted him with something, screams his head off and goes straight to the kitchen and grabs a knife acting like he’s going to kill someone. I reacted by grabbing him, forcing him against the wall and knocking the knife out of his hand. In the process he cut himself. We rushed him to the hospital and got him stitches. He stayed the night with his grandmother to calm down. I went over the next morning and picked him up and talked for a good 3 hours or so. We had a really good talk and got some past issues out in the open that needed to be said. We will continue to work on it from here.My wife doesn’t agree of course that he should be pulling knives on family members but is angry with me for stopping him the way I did. It’s the third time. He usually does this to put an end to a conversation that isn’t going his way and I just reacted. My 7 and 3 year old were in the same room when this happened and my wife wasn’t there at the time so I had no idea what he was going to do since he was so angry and uncontrollable.My wife believes it’s just a performance and he wouldn’t stab anybody because “I know because I carried and gave birth to him”. She’s disappointed that I don’t have the same faith that she does.I don’t believe that’s the problem. I’m not sure what he would do when he’s out of control like that. I’m not willing to take the chance and he was scaring the little ones. Of course they got more scared when I stopped him.Any advice? via /r/Parenting http://bit.ly/2PyTqQq

No comments:

Post a Comment