Friday 24 February 2017

Reflections on the 7th Anniversary of My sons Autism Diagnosis.


Today is the 7th anniversary of my son being diagnosed with Autism. I'm rereading some of the posts from that day, and it's almost like someone died. I guess technically the child that I dreamt of having (the one that would go to west point, and yale, and become a five star general) did die that day. And while it took a few years, eventually I accepted the child that I have. He's really smart, he can't talk, but he has his own distinct voice.It wasn't what I planned, and that hard to get past even 7 years later. But, the journey with him, is one that is overwhelmingly positive. We both love science museums, books, and futurama. Plus he introduced me to Rick and Morty (My new favorite show). And ultimately we just mesh. Whether he be a future astronaut, cashier, scientist, or fry cook, he's my Corbin and that's ultimately all that matters."All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. " Walt Disney via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2ljvdO3

No comments:

Post a Comment