Friday 24 February 2017

9 year old son has a serious attitude problem.


For the past few months, my 9 year old son (middle child of 10 and 7 year old siblings) has really acted out or shown little respect towards me or my husband. Examples include waking up in an ill mood and hitting the walls or kicking doors, getting mad when he has to get off an electronic and yelling at his siblings, stomping off during family game time and then yelling at me while I try to talk to him about these issues, he only back talks me and treats me as though he's the authority figure and tells me how to act.I want to make it clear, my husband and I try very hard to be gentle and calm when talking to him. I will admit there's been a few mistakes of losing my temper and telling him to go to his room because it became overwhelming with his "I don't care!" or "I hate you/this family". When I do this, I do apologize to make it right. But it's happened maybe five times at most.There's been two incidents last week where he stomped off during our family board game then kept trying to yell at us over the stairs; we put him in time out and when I've told him that he needs to work on his attitude and lighten up (he got mad at me for trying to joke with him not at his expense) but he threatens to run away or kill himself. He proceeds to say that my husband and I don't care about him and it gets to the point that I do cry when he says these things. After an hour or so of talking and asking him how he would feel if I did those things or said those things, he apologizes but the next day he's in a bad mood and I'm walking on egg shells again.I don't know why he's doing this, I've talked to his teacher but she says nothing but great things about him and how well behaved he is and he's a straight A student, who's one of the popular kids in his school and even today he stayed home because he was sick but he hated the idea and begged me to let him go while hacking and wheezing. He's not bullied or having problems at school, and I try to make a point to have family game or movie time with my kids and my husband will exercise or read to them. But he did admit that he feels he's not getting enough attention, but I don't know how to give anymore than what I do already with them on a daily basis. I'm at a loss, he was my most laid back and easiest child to handle up until three or four months ago and it's like some mean little demon has possessed him. I don't know how to try to work with his emotions when he's like this because it seems like when I try to make an effort, he gets a lot worse before he gets better. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2lE2kyS

No comments:

Post a Comment