Monday 27 February 2017

Pediatrician vs. Pharmacist, who do I trust?!


I ran into an issue today where my child's pediatrician, whom I have trusted now for over 4 years, was at complete odds with my pharmacist, whom I have trusted for over 11 years.My kiddo has sinusitis, and was prescribed amoxicillin. She's 49lbs (22.23kg), and her prescription is for 11.25mL amoxicillin 400mg/5mL oral suspension. That works out to 900mg/dose, 1800mg/day, which is just over 80mg/kg/day.The pharmacist flagged this in huge red letters, and was concerned enough to call the pediatrician. The only answer he was given by my pediatrician was this was "their protocol," but he didn't sound convinced by it when he relayed that information to me.I've attempted to call other pediatricians, but it appears to be lunch hour. I am going to get a second opinion, but has anyone else ran into an issue where their pediatrician prescribed something the medication literature and pharmacist was at odds with? How did you deal with it?Again, I will get a second opinion before I give my daughter a single dose, but advice, especially from those who have been through something similar, would be appreciated. Cheers. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2lZ3nK6

No comments:

Post a Comment