Tuesday 28 February 2017

How Much is Enough?


(Throwaway account). How much time is “normal” for an adult child to spend with their parent(s)? Most topics I’ve seen on this are based on a parent complaining that the child doesn’t visit enough. My situation is the opposite.Some background: I have a 26-year-old daughter who moved out on her own just last year. She has a 5-year-old. They live 7 miles away from me. I have two children still living at home.I’m a single mom, and I’ve recently started dating again. My adult daughter texts me all day long and is over at my house at least two evenings a week, and now sometimes all day on weekends as well (she comes to do her laundry and hangs out). I’m grateful that we have a relationship where we can talk about anything, but is it wrong for me to want some “me” time at this stage in my life? About 7 months ago I started seeing a great guy. Weekends are the only time we get to spend together right now. My oldest will come to the house and just sit, playing on her phone, while we’re there. Sometimes I have to tell her “it’s time for you to go home now”.She turns that around and tells me that I’m putting a man before my kids. We (my boyfriend and I) take the two kids out who are still at home and spend time with them on the weekends and I do babysit my grandchild occasionally, so it’s not like I’m constantly wanting “alone time” just with him. But I would like to limit the chaos and have some time to build something with him.I’ve had extensive talks with the kids at home about how they feel about me dating, about him, etc. They’re cool with it. Ex is not in the picture because he’s deceased.Am I being selfish? I feel like a 26-year-old should be forming her own circle of friends and creating her own life, not leaning on me so heavily just because she’s lonely. She says I’m pushing her to the side. What I’m trying to do is push her into having a life. I know there are probably a lot of gaps in this; I’ll fill in any blanks you may have questions about.Any advice is appreciated. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2lStiBc

No comments:

Post a Comment