Friday 24 February 2017

My first child, her second. Our parenting styles are different, how to mediate?


Hi all,I've been with Ruby for 2 years and we're now pregnant. She has a 4 year old from a previous marriage called Daisy. Me and Daisy have a very special bond, she loves me and I love her.Because Daisy is not my daughter, Ruby has made all the decisions and I have always respected them even if I don't agree. But there are some things I strongly am opposed to for my own child.The main one being I want my child to grow up on good food. I am a foodie, I cook every night for both of us and believe in unprocessed, good food and I want that for my child too. Daisy has grown up on chicken nuggets and chips and won't touch vegetables or basically anything other than chicken nuggets and chips. Even when I make my own chicken nuggets and chips from fresh chicken breast and good quality potatoes, she won't even try them.I also don't believe in yelling at children. I want to convince them that what they're doing is wrong. This actually works quite well with Daisy, when I explain my feelings to her when she doesn't pick up her toys or why shouting when I'm trying to work is bad, she responds with empathy and behaves. It might have a slower resolution than when Ruby shouts at Daisy but I feel it's more ingrained and I like the mutual respect we have for each other.I plan to talk to Ruby about this, but I would like your input on how to approach this, particularly from other people in my situation.I don't know if it helps but I've known Daisy for a year; me and Ruby were dating for a year before she decided I am the right guy to introduce her daughter to. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2lCRZlb

No comments:

Post a Comment