Saturday 25 February 2017

[advice] Fairly certain friend's two children have ASD


So my wife has been friends with this mom, from an online baby board, and now we are close friends, living in the same city, who have watched our kids grow up together. We each have a 5 year old girl, and 2 year old boy. As a Special Education teacher, and someone who has worked with numerous children with Autism Spectrum Disorder, it is very apparent to me that both of her children have ASD, but I don't know how to bring it up or suggest it. I go back and forth from "I have to say something", and "It's not my place to say something and share what is a life-altering perspective". I just know early intervention is so important and they aren't doing anything but border-line unstructured homeschool.Because they are homeschooling their children, there isn't a chance a school will identify them. The 5 year old does have an apparent Speech/language disorder, but the mom says "Speech didn't do anything for me, so I don't believe in that." The 2 year old seems like he may end up not as high functioning as the 5 year old.The mom often comments on our facebook posts with a comment that is trying to one-up, or keep up with whatever we're posting. I want to say something but I don't want it to become a "Well, your kids have problems too" competition. I also don't want to add awareness to a stressor that may break up the family. But there's also a risk that I could damage our relationship with them if they take a "why didn't you say something" perspective.Just looking for some advice on how to approach this. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2kXilRN

No comments:

Post a Comment