Monday 27 February 2017

Feel really bad for losing it on my 7 year old this morning


I have 3 kids: 7,5 and a toddler. The older two can get into fights where they hurt each other, particularly the oldest who will lie on the ground and kick; this happened this morning when getting ready for school, after repeating a number of times to stop fighting I lost my temper and yelled at the older one and threw my deodorant (that I happened to be holding) at him, he had a winter jacket on but it wasn't acceptable behavior from me.I feel really bad for doing it, I apologized to him afterwards, but it's just so tough and draining to try to maintain composure when they are at each other's throats while the parents are trying to get everything ready for the day. I don't know if anyone has any tips for keeping two boys from either fighting or goofing off, those seem to be our two main issues right now - they completely tune the parents out at times and will either be wrestling on the floor (with the older kicking and the younger biting), or will be running around the dinner table goofing off.I know I should have better kid management skills but particularly when one or both parents are tired we end up resorting to yelling and/or grabbing one or both boys to get their attention. Otherwise it seems that we are completely tuned out. I understand some of the behavior might be the result of their not being able to deal with yelling parents, i.e. that this might terrify them to the point that they ignore it, but I just would appreciate any comments as to how we could break out of this vicious cycle and get to a point where perhaps we can have a day, or a few hours, of no yelling in the house, as it's just a complete madhouse at times. Thanks... via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2l4WPuu

No comments:

Post a Comment