Friday 24 February 2017

My son is gay and wants a friend he has a crush on to sleep over. How should I handle?


My six-year-old son says he's gay. It's been almost a year and I'm cool with it and glad we've raised him so matter-of-factly that he doesn't think anything of it. My awesome husband is also supportive. The question is... how do I navigate this at school and with other kids? He's been telling boys he has crushes on them. I've told him, just like I have my straight daughter, that crushes are great, but it can make people uncomfortable if you tell them. He seems to get it. But now he wants one of those boys to sleep over. Do I tell the kid's parents that my kid has a crush on theirs and let them decide? They're lovely and liberal, so I know they'll be sweet about it. But it puts them in a tough position of maybe worrying about my kid being inappropriate with their kid vs. their desire to support my son and the gay community in general. And if I do tell any friends' parents, it feels like I'm "warning" people, like my kid's some pervy predator. On the other hand, even if I tell him it is very important he keeps his hands to himself, etc., he's a six-year-old and they don't have the best impulse control. Any thoughts, fellow parents? Sleepovers will be coming up more and more, and I'm just not sure how to handle the requests going forward. I want him to be able to have friends and all the normal activities that come with childhood. But I also don't want to put anyone (including my son!) in situations where friendly affection could go farther than it should. He and the boy down the street think it's fun to kiss on the mouth already. I very firmly said he's too young for kissing, but yeah... I need a handbook for all this! via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2mt5F1o

No comments:

Post a Comment