Sunday 30 April 2017

Were any of your parents hoarders? How do you manage to be OK with kid clutter?


My parents were both hoarders and burned through money like no other. They ended up losing their home after one ended up in jail after sending the other to the hospital. I had to help clean out 3 40yard dumpsters of crap. I'm the opposite.It didn't really hit me until I was cleaning out the closet and noticed a box of toys. You see, my 3yo and 1yo play with 10 toys. They share 1 stuffed animal. The rest are put into the closet storage to be rotated or donated. I've been okay with the setup because I tell myself they have a ton of toys to play with at daycare. The 3yo will now put away his toys before getting out his books to read (I don't limit books) because I've put his toys in timeout if they're left out at the end of the day. I've donated over 30 stuffed animals courtesy of my mom and MIL. It bothers them that 95% of our baby clothes are hand me downs because we can afford buying them new things. For birthdays we say no presents or if you really insist, books. I refused to let my friends throw me a baby shower because I didn't want things. Our house is not pristine but it is minimal. I don't mind if they track in dirt or roughhouse because it takes me less than 15 minutes to clean my entire house. My husband seems to be okay with the setup.That's how I've managed with having a really dysfunctional childhood. I know it's not what most households do. I was wondering how other parents deal with similar backgrounds. I've literally thrown away toys into the trash in front of my mother just to get the point across. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2qlxuLH

No comments:

Post a Comment