Thursday 27 April 2017

UPDATE: Should I tell my colleague about what I observed regarding his son?


Original post here: http://ift.tt/2pnUfyw the end, I was given a coward's way out, and I took it (because I am a coward, goddammit!).My very good friend is a close colleague of Matthew's father. While he and I work at the same large organisation, she and him work directly within the same department. I was lamenting to her about my predicament, and she offered to talk to Matthew's father directly. She has the benefit of knowing him well, but is made of much stronger moral fiber than me.She texted me this morning to let me know she'd mentioned in an e-mail to him that I'd seen his son at the pool and was worried that he was being overlooked by his teachers.He told her that he was aware that Matthew would not be participating in the pool that day. This was due to a logistical issue specific to his disability. He will be able to participate in all subsequent water activities they have planned, as he (Matthew's father) will be attending his classes in-person to assist with the logistics. I think it's a pity that the kid's dad literally has to show up just to make this work (we are lucky to have flexible hours!), but such is life. I would hope that a disabled student who's parents couldn't show up in-person would still be afforded accommodations, but that's another fight for another day.However Matthew's father also stressed to my friend that he was thankful to me for being worried about his kid. He said it was a silver lining to his son's hypervisibility (being in a wheelchair), because he finds that people are quick to want to help out with his son, and are always watching out for him. He said that without his own intervention at the school, Matthew's learning opportunities are often overlooked.So to all of you who said this might be nothing, but mention it to Matthew's father anyway, you were right. Thank you to everyone who offered advice (except for one meanie who has now deleted their comment!), particularly to those of you who shared stories about your own experiences with special education students/children. I really appreciate it. I'm so relieved it ended up being a non-issue. I'm a new mom and am suddenly so aware of how important it is that we look out for each other's kids, even at the risk of looking like clueless goofs. Thanks, guys! via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2qdsvPL

No comments:

Post a Comment