Thursday 27 April 2017

Advice regarding a smoking grandparent?


I'm due with my first child any day now, and running out of time to deal with a particular issue.My grandmother smokes. All the time. She reeks of it, her house (last I checked) stinks to high heaven, and anything that enters her house comes out smelling like cigarettes (and it rarely stops).She has no respect for the nonsmokers. I saw her just recently, and without warning, she started smoking just a few feet away from me, her pregnant granddaughter who has never been shy about hiding distaste for smoking.I don't want her to hold my son the way she is now. She'll be lucky if I let her anywhere near him. I've known regular smokers who don't stink, who have clean houses, and so on, and I'd let them babysit my child before I let my grandmother hold him.That being said, I don't actually want to keep my son from her. She and I may not be extremely close, but she is still my grandmother, and this is still her first great-grandchild. But I will not compromise his health and safety.To be fair, she does not currently live in my area, and as a result we only see each other at Christmas most years. So realistically, my son would probably be fine. But I am still not comfortable with it, largely because she has no respect for the people around her and dismisses my desire to not be around her while she smokes.Any advice on how to handle this so that (hopefully) I don't have to put my foot down and keep away? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2qdgwSx

No comments:

Post a Comment