Sunday 30 April 2017

Son was recently diagnosed with a rare medical disorder. How can I make sure my daughter doesn't feel left out?


I have a 10 (11 in June) year old daughter and a 5 year old son. My son was recently diagnosed with a rare medical disorder. It's treatable, but it's pretty serious and will require many hospital visits. Because his condition is rare and we live in a small town, the closest hospital that can treat him in about an hour away. We have a visit coming up this week.I am the one who goes to hospital visits and my husband stays home with our daughter. My husband can't take off work, so this is our only real option.My daughter seems to understand for the most part. My son's disorder isn't visible, so it was a little difficult for her to understand that something was seriously wrong with him at first. She seems to have a better understanding of it now. I just worry that she is going to feel left out. She's entering the tween years and I know these are crucial years, so I would hate for her to feel like we are neglecting her in any way. She adores her little brother and I know that she logically understand that her brother needs more help right now, but I worry about the emotional impact.We can't find any children's books on the disorder and the more general ones we have found seemed to be geared at younger kids.Does anyone have any advice on making sure my daughter feels like a priority? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2pjrPqT

No comments:

Post a Comment