Thursday 27 April 2017

18 yrs old daughter* has zero input of her future


So I've been the single dad of a kid that isn't biologically my own for several years. She is a bit behind in development in many areas, no fault of her own. She was semi homeless and not in regular school for some periods of her life before I met her.So.. she's 18, but a junior in high school, most of her friends are just getting their driving license (she is terrified of driving). Thinking of her as a 15-16 yr old mentally is probably more accurate than 18, tho it's not as simple as that.For the last 3 years she has been in a private school where its at most 5-6 kids per teacher and often one on one in subjects she needed extra help in. She's caught up from a 4th grade reading level to age appropriate material in only a few years, I don't think there is any actual issue with learning beyond lack of effort on the parents though she is technically in remedial classes/IEP if I put her back in public school.Anyway, to the point.. the school she has been at has gone down hill. New administration, favorite teachers leaving, etc. And, I am very lucky to work from home in a flexible arrangement that pays pretty well.. We could move almost anywhere in the world over the summer, and I can put her in..not any school.. but there are like literally thousands if not tens of thousands of options here.She is very hesitant to discuss the situation at all, and I have no idea what she would like. Not even sure how much weight I should give what she says on the rare occasions she admits to preferring (for instance) more kids (and boys lol) than fewer, in a general sense. That confession was like pulling teeth. And I know moving and changing schools is a stressful and scary thing for a kid, I just want to give her ever chance to have an opinion or even just an interest in how she's about to spend the next year.So.. not even sure what the specific question is.. what do I do? Leave her alone and make choices for her, keep trying to approach it (I will be first to admit I am not good with the word thinkin stuff required to communicate here), make her do day tours of schools, cross fingers + drink beer?Thank you for your thoughts. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2oRqkgV

No comments:

Post a Comment