Tuesday 25 April 2017

Should I tell my colleague about what I observed regarding his son?


Throwaway account, as this discusses someone else's kid. Apologies for wall o' text.I'm on maternity leave, and go swimming a couple times a week at our local pool, during the day. Today, gym classes from the nearby high school were doing units on swimming and life savings skills in the area of the pool immediately next to my lane. Lots of awkward 14 year old practicing their jumping entries, treading water, that sort of thing. However one kid wasn't participating, and I immediately recognised him as the son of a colleague. I'll call him Matthew.I had the pleasure of meeting Matthew about a year and a half ago at a (family friendly) pub night for the organisation that his dad and I work for. I met his dad for the first time that evening, but then got drawn into conversation with this precocious then-12 year old boy. We ended up talking for hours about everything from the megafauna of North America, to dinosaurs, to space. He's a brilliant kid, terribly charming, and several of the adults at the pub night commented on what a great kid he is to his dad.Despite having only met him once, in a dark pub, while slightly drunk, I recognised him very quickly today at the pool because Matthew is in a wheelchair. I have no idea what his disability is. He has total use of his arms, but very little/no use of his legs. Obviously this had no bearing on our pub night conversation, but it did have a bearing on his participation in the pool today. Since they were doing their first aid stuff so close to me, I kept on eye on Matthew for the entire hour they were there.He. Did. Nothing.He stayed on the sidelines of the pool deck, looking on as all his classmates splashed around, get wet, and learned about first aid. The person I assume to be his Educational Assistant was alongside him, sometimes chatting with him, sometimes ignoring him and chatting with the lifeguards or other classmates. There were three teachers overseeing the classes and several lifeguards doing the instruction. He stayed in his chair the entire time, fully clothed and looking a bit bored.I should mention that this particular pool has several wheelchair lifts into the water, as well as a kiddie pool that has large ramp into the water (there is a physio clinic in the same building and they often bring their clients into the pool for water therapy and rehab. There are always a couple wheelchairs sitting in the shallow water while clients are in the pool with their PT). There's no shortage of ways to get a kid who's in a wheelchair into the pool.But none of them were employed for Matthew. He wasn't given a modified version of the lessons his classmates were given. He was not given an alternative pool curriculum. He was not given the chance to enter the pool to splash around with a lifeguard. He wasn't even given the chance to do some first aid theory/book-based instruction poolside. Or even just to use the time to do homework! All he did was sit and stare at his classmates having fun for an hour while he did nothing. As someone who has met this wonderful kid, and someone who loves the water myself, this broke my heart.My moral conundrum is this: Should I mention this to his dad? I really don't know the man that well -- we work together in a large organisation and only met that one time, at the pub night. I don't have the full picture here, only a snapshot, and am reading into it a lot. Is it normal for wheelchair-bound students to simply not participate in pool curriculum? Am I missing something about education or pool safety that might account for this? I'm worried his dad already knows all this and is fine with it, so I'd just come off as meddling. But I also worry that maybe the dispatches he gets from Matthew don't quite capture how little his son does while his classmates are in the pool. I should also add that I have two friends who have children with special education needs who have, in the past, complained to me about how shitty our school district is at supporting their kids, so I am biased against our school board and couldn't help but think that all the educators milling around were really failing this poor kid. It seemed like it was a simple case that nobody could be bothered to organise the help and lessons needed to get Matthew into the pool. I'm not sure how to proceed, or if I'm making a big deal out of something that is totally normal. I don't have any experience with school systems, school-aged kids, or special needs kids.Any advice, r/parenting? via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2p2EUVu

No comments:

Post a Comment