Wednesday 26 April 2017

Immature Kindergarten Son


Ok, so ever since my son was born with a late August birthday, I debated whether to send him to kindergarten as soon as he turned five or to wait a year and "redshirt" him.He is bright and average sized for his age, but he has low impulse control and can get crazy. I know that describes most 5-year-old boys, but I also have a 7-year-old and I can definitely tell the difference from when the older one was 5.In the beginning of the year, the teacher indicated that he was doing ok but was very immature and suggested that we likely should have held him back or potentially have him repeat the year. I'm not opposed to him repeating the year, but my son REALLY does not want to.I just emailed the teacher to check on his progress and received this response: "You are right, [your son] is doing well academically. He is still struggling with the social, emotional, and control issues we have talked about before. I think he is still Very young compared to his class peers. However academically, he is prepared to move on to 1st grade."I was already planning to work with him academically over the summer. Do any of you have experience with helping a young-acting child gain maturity? I know that being the youngest kid in his class and a boy has a correlation with potential ADHD diagnosis - sometimes just because of that difference in maturity. I would like to help him succeed in school. Any ideas?Thanks in advance. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2p4KlDw

No comments:

Post a Comment