Wednesday 26 April 2017

Props to single parents out there


My wife is traveling on business this week. It's the first time since our son was born, who is around 13 months now. I've been managing as a single dad since Friday, but for anyone that raises kids as a single parent, mad props to you.Normally my wife and I share the load pretty equally, but in the last few days it feels like I have more than twice my normal responsibilities because there's no break until the baby goes to sleep. He even sits in the bathroom with the door closed if I have to pee!Anything to be done around the house, whether it's cooking, cleaning, etc must be done with the kiddo close by. This evening I was cooking dinner and practically tripping on him because he has nobody else to interact with.My wife and I each make a good salary and our family is financially secure. But if you're a single parent on one income, working up to two jobs or even more jobs to make ends meet, I can only imagine how exhausting every day is.I'm always conscious of the risks of drinking too much or slipping in the shower or a sudden stroke or any of a hundred possible things that could happen that would leave my baby defenseless for days.We have no family or close friends in the area to help out. Single parents in the same situation have no relief. It's a 24/7 job. I'd probably have to move closer to my family if this were a permanent situation.Being a temporary single parent is manageable because I know it's temporary. My wife is only gone a week+. I know she's coming back soon. If she weren't, knowing that I would face the same struggles every day for years is intimidating.She reddits, so if you read this BB, I love you and miss you. Get home safely!Maybe single parents who have been doing it for years by now feel like it's no big deal, but you all are like superhumans to me. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2q8p4qY

No comments:

Post a Comment