Saturday 29 April 2017

Fight over daughter's hair


Throwaway because this is pretty personal.My husband and I are normally on the same page on most parenting issues or can come to a compromise if we're not. But I'm currently dealing with the fallout of an issue that we did not come to agreement on.We work with teenagers and we have both seen the negative affects on their lives, especially the girls, of being allowed to grow up too quickly. We have discussed that we both want to make sure all of our children, including our son, should not be thrown in to situations that they don't have the maturity to handle (whether that is media, dress or social situations). I always get his input on the appropriateness of the clothes our daughters wear as I understand men think much differently than women. This being said we have always been careful to treat our daughters the same as our son and I hate the idea of expressing to a girl that there is something inherently wrong with their body just because they are female. We just don't want our children to be sexualized or to buy into the idea that they need to look a certain way.So here's the issue. Our 8 year old daughter asked for a pixie cut which I told her would be too big of a jump from her long hairstyle that currently laid at her mid back. She talked about being tired of dealing with her long hair and not wanting to look so feminine. My husband's reaction was to say that she needed to start with cutting her hair to just below her shoulders and then maybe gradually cutting it shorter over a period of months. He told me that he felt that a shorter haircut would make her look too old and she would receive unwanted male attention. I have never heard of short hair making a girl look "too old" and have seen plenty of little girls with short haircuts. Our daughter does look older than her age already because of her physical size but her dress and demeanor give clues to her true age.I felt my husband's reasoning was irrational and he would not budge from his viewpoint. She was so set on a shorter hairstyle and I decided to let her go ahead and have it cut just below her chin. My husband is currently furious with me and said I did not co-parent with him which was hugely disrespectful. I felt he was stifling her self-expression over his personal opinion of the style. He hasn't said any of this to our daughter and she's so pleased with her new haircut.Is this a real thing, did I make my daughter look too old and attract unwanted attention? Is there seriously something I'm missing in the way that the minds of men work? He's equating this situation to the time that his mom let his 14 year old sister get her belly button pierced without his dad's input. via /r/Parenting http://ift.tt/2pJ0gIZ

No comments:

Post a Comment